View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2004 versus 2005...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
Now some of my favorite Crowton homers are endeavoring to convince the mindless masses that 2005 was no better than 2004. I hope this debate is put to rest for good when BYU beats Cal in the Vegas Bowl, but I don't want to wait until the blessed moment of consumation of that victory to bellow out why I feel 2005 was a better year. As mama has presently prohibited me from contact with Cougarboard, or at least I am unable to post, I hope my logic makes it their ears and they are invited to disagree.

I shall make the comparison a crude analogy. The principal reason I do such is because I can and we can all laugh about it like we are teenagers making blue darts at the Drive Inn, but there are other reasons as well. Such crude analogies are offensive to "mormon mullahs" and I feel it my duty to keep them away with my PG-13 posts. Finally, I think the analogy is pretty damn appropos at illustrating my point.

Would one rather wrestle with Pamela Anderson Lee Kid Rock Lee or Kristie Alley? This is not a sexual question, but if the intent is to pin the opponent I propose that most would rather scrape with Barb Wire. The reality is that Sister Alley is sporting an Ofa like pooper. It is more difficult to move folks whose buttcrack cleavage is visible from space. This is why BYU's OL are all immense fatasseye. The point of the analogy is that Pamela is top heavy, boy howdeeeeeeee! Last season's schedule was likewise top heavy. Save we took on that mutant from "Total Recall." After the top 3 of Utah, USC and BSU the schedule nosedived like Gary Crowton's field trip to the world's biggest little City (AKA Reno, Nevada). In my humble but highly accurate opinion (IMHBHAO) BYU only played two other decent-good teams, UNM and ND. In other words, I feel that BYU played 6 baaaaaaaad teams last season. I attribute poor coaching to three of BYU's losses, those being Stanford, UNM and UNLV.

This year BYU did not play the 3 headed "Total Recall" Pamela Anderson mutant. It did play 3 teams that are clearly better, but they were not insurmountable opponents. However, the schedule does not nosedive after TCU, BC and Notre Dame. CSU, UNM and Utah are all still formidible foes. In fact SDSU will most likely finish with a non-losing season. I feel that this year BYU only played 4 baaaaaad teams in AF, UNLV, WYO and EIU. Therefore, while this years schedule is not as sexy as the Canadian Contributions to Man Made Wonders of the World, it was more difficult to squeeze out 6 wins when wrestling with Kirstie Alley's immovable pooper in the middle.

It was not a spectacular year, but it was better than last season. Additionally, it was accomplished by a rookie staff that had some rather large talent defiencies to cover up. They had their issues and I hold them accountable for two of BYU's losses. I pin SDSU and Utah squarely on the coaches' shoulders. However, two debacles is always a better thing than 3. Certainly, I think they need to improve the team as BYU has more potential than peaking with this past season, but clearly the momentum indicates that these folks are more likely to get the program to its peak potential than Crowton was.
There are two separate issues, the 2005 season and beyond the 2005 season. I don't know how anyone can make an ironclad case that the 2005 season is any better than the 2004 season. The extra kum-ba-ya factor still didn't stop us from laying eggs several times during the season. The improvement on offense was offset by a big decline on defense. BYU's Sagarin ranking is 3 spots worse this year than last year. Both seasons had games we should have won but didn't.

Now as for beyond 2005, we very well could be in better shape now with Bronco than without, but that remains to be seen.

But as for the 2005 season IN AND OF ITSELF being better than 2004, there just isn't any evidence of that.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote