View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #40
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I don't have a problem knowing there are women that can run faster than me, I say more power to 'em.

I was doing a 14 miler on Saturday, and as I was passing a slower lady that's always out there when I am, she said "I can't understand how you run so fast". About a minute later two women and a guy come smoking past me, had to be doing sub-7's. No matter how fast or slow you think you are, there's always someone faster or slower.

The nice thing is, the number of people that I pass on my runs is much bigger than the number of people who pass me. That's good enough for me.
I never was a great runner, but in college, I could run with anybody but the Ed Eyestones et al. Heck, at the BYU PE class several weeks after my mission I still ran the 1.5 mile under 8 minutes. Not smoking hot, but better than today. I'd be lucky to break 9 minutes if I killed myself. (I'm not certain I could do it right now).

It is just very strange to get older and slower. To lack power where once there was an abundance. Remember when you could slam the softball over the fence, but now it's just a long out. That's how it feels.

Just like in cycling where one drafts off another runner, usually I can pick up quite a bit of speed that way. However, if somebody is so much faster than you, you don't even have the time or power to accelerate to even stay with that runner.