View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
My nike+ says it's 20:15. I have no doubt whatsoever that it's lying. My best is probably in the 21-22 range. I don't really know, because I don't ever run just a 5k. There have been a couple of half marathons when I was really booking it, and probably had a 21-22 minute three miles in there somewhere.

But that would have to be with me on a caffeine buzz, on a downhill course, with the wind at my back, and the temperature in the 40's. :-)

I enjoy running, but I don't necessarily enjoy running fast. It hurts.
I haven't been running very fast so I joined a running group, where everybody drops me.

We have two guys, with whom no matter what I do, I can't stay with them. I felt better when they completed their 5ks near 17. I wondered how much I had become wussified. It is an odd feeling to try to start your engine only to see the other car just pull away with ease. The cadence on their legs was amazing. Of course some of the women run sub 19s, which embarrasses me to all get out. I get to run with the slow, but cute, women. I can get my heartrate into the 200s with this group.

You are correct, running fast hurts bad. The second mile of the 5K is the key and where I usually lose my pace. I guess my fast days are long gone, not that I ever really had any.