View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #50
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Tasering somebody is assault. That doesn't seem very subjective. I'd rather be punched the face than tasered. The cop could have done any number of things. If not signing a ticket is grounds for arrest (not sure if that's the case) then the cop should have arrested him. He didn't. He chose instead to taser him for no reason. If he thought his life was in danger, he was wrong and is probably not emotionally strong enough to handle his job. Did he tell the man he would be tasered if he didn't comply? I didn't hear it, nor did I see the man not complying. The cop could have de-escalated the situation, but I didn't even see him attempt to do so. Therefore, the cop is wrong. If a professional and an amateur both screw up, the professional takes the blame.
Tasering someone isn't assualt. Assault is a legal term with a specific meaning. It CAN be assault, depending on the circumstances. Whether or not you would rather be punched in the face than tasered did not make its way into the definition of assault in the Utah Code.

Not signing a ticket IS grounds for arrest. The ticket is a mechanism used by police as a courtesy in lieu of arrest. You don't have to go to jail if you agree to sign the ticket (which states that you will appear for your court appearance, and is not an admission of guilt). If you refuse to sign the ticket, the officer most certainly has the legal authority to arrest you.

The officer gave clear instructions to the man. He pulled out a taser and pointed it at the guy while repeating the simple instructions. The guy proceeded to put his hand in his pocket and walk away from the officer. That is begging for a tasing.

You say the cop could have "de-escalated" the situtation. How? Isn't that subjective? Don't you want the police to be the one to make that determination? The guy put his hand in his pocket (stupid) turned his back to the officer and walked away (also stupid).

As for your claim that the cop was "wrong" and not "emotionally stable" if he thought he was in danger, I would suggest that you don't have a clue what police go through in traffic stops.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote