View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But you are dodging the question why we even should promote an economy with unskilled labor. I believe we should NOT promote that.
that doesn't make any sense to me. How is it even possible to avoid having lower skilled jobs in the economy? Who will wash dishes at your favorite restaurant, take care of landscaping, do your dry cleaning, stock shelves at the grocery store...? I'm not making fun of your argument, but these jobs aren't going away and are needed. It's good honest work.

Plus, limiting the labor supply by not allowing recent immigrants to have an entry point into the economy is exactly what you would want to do to "promote" those kinds of jobs. Think about it. Less labor supply for work that needs to be done means business will have no choice but to pay more for those jobs and make them more attractive (and raise your prices to pay for it). You're actually arguing for the the exact opposite. If you want to promote the pay scale and prestige of a job then you create barriers to entry.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-29-2016 at 08:59 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote