View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
do you get much return on that investment?! i'm looking to put in a new stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. it's stainless vs. black... i'm also thinking about sanding, staining and putting new "jewelry" on the cabinets. spending 3-4k for all those things. my guess is the appliances aren't big equity builders and just re-surfacing the cabinetry won't add a ton of value, but it will be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye..

my guess the majority response will be, dude, you just moved in, if putting in stainless steel appliances and re-surfacing the cabinets make you happy, just do it.

thank you.
I think that you hit it on the head - just put in whatever you like best if you are going to be there for a while.

Personaly, I think that black has more of a timeless quality to it - it won't go out of style any time soon.

Also, I don't know what price level your property is at but past a certain level(200k or so) I hear that most people who are looking want new appliances - whether they put them in themselves or they are put in by the seller.

Something that will increase the value is granite countertops, if you don't have them already. But if you have to install them, you're only going to get your money back if the selling price is north of 200k.

If you think that you're going to be there for a while get whatever you want(the look that you want) and worry about appliances and the like when you are getting ready to sell.