View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Very interesting Zulu, thanks for the info. So if you were me, and training for a marathon what percentage of runs would you dedicate to the aerobic HR zones? How often should I be venturing into the anaerobic zones? My current breakdown is that I do 2-3 tempo runs/wk where my heart rate is normally around 165-175. Then 1/wk where I do a speed run, usually a 5k, and HR is redlined. I rarely do any aerobic workouts because they make me feel lazy. If I made my saturday long run an aerobic one, would that be enough?

One more question. On the run where my HR was reading very high but perceived exertion was much lower it was 100 degrees and I was probably not well hydrated. Could those conditions be a cause?
Disclaimer: I am a surgeon, not a trainer. When I was training for a 1/2 marathon, I did the hal higdon program. This seemed to fall in line with your idea. I think that using the longer runs, to keep you HR in the aerobic zone is a good idea. Your second question. Yes. I love to think about physiology while I am running. Cardiac Output = Heart Rate x Stroke Volume , if you become dehydrated you start to loose your stroke volume, therefore the heart has to compensate by increasing the HR to give the same cardiac output.