View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You're talking about an institution whose law school sent me official material reassuring me that it's okay to get a law degree and then stay home in the end. (This is true, of course, but you'd think that a law school would also want to point out that it's okay to get a law degree and then, you know, practice law!!) I am an outsider, but it is my impression that the cultural forces shaping the LDS young woman's understanding of herself and her role in society are real and powerful. What is perhaps most dangerous is that those forces are rarely so explicit as they were in the leaflet I was mailed.
People desperately do not want to talk of such things.

It is so pervasive, that it is invisible. The forest can't be seen for the trees.

Look at the YW leaders on your ward. How many of them are professionals? Likely, zero. Can you ever recall a female professional chosen as a YW leader? Probably not many.

Then look at the YM leaders. How many of them are professionals with good track records and good careers? Most of them.

That's just one example.

I'm kinda getting tired of being picked on and attacked for stating the blatantly obvious.

LDS girls hear things from LDS people that non-LDS girls would NEVER be told in the non-LDS world, in professional settings. My daughter will be given these messages constantly, and I as a parent am going to have to thing long and hard about how I deal with it. I guess what I want her to know is that some people will present her with false choices, and that she should see through them. An example: if you have a career, you will have to leave the church.

Note what it took to get "the Lion" of apologia, Tex, to enter this thread.

About the BYU literature, they've probably found that they can't even get women to apply. So their strategy is to try and convince women, who are undecided about going to law school, to come anyway. Obviously, it is not geared towards a woman that knows what she wants.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote