View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think the "agent of the church" claim is quite a stretch. From an ecclesiastical perspective, a home teacher carries no special assignment. You don't get set apart as a home teacher (it's considered part of the ordination to the priesthood) and you don't carry any special keys or responsibilities beyond any other priesthood holder (or member for that matter).

You're just, for lack of a better word, an assigned friend. If this were a Bishop, I could see more of a case, but home teachers carry almost no authority it all as an "agent" of the church.
So when they show up, who are they representing? Where does the assigned message come from? They are not set apart as home teachers, but it is a duty include din the ordination? You don't think that's a distincti9on without a difference (and try telling your bishop that you don't really care about home teaching becasue you weren't set apart)? There are some problems with this reault, IMO, but not based upon the assertion that a HT is not an agent.