View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #61
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I decided I have a little more to say on this (not on SAHM, but on Barbara's contribution).

I try to walk softly when it comes to other people's religions. I grew up in Texas as a minority faith around a lot of diversity in belief. Funny enough, I took very little crap for my own. My Christian friends were typically quite concilliatory, and their acceptance helped me to respect our differences as well as our similarities. I've tried to emulate that everywhere I've gone since.

It's no secret I have fierce words when it comes to "my own": Mormons that I don't think toe the line. But I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of my posts that speak ill of other faiths.

As best as I can remember, Barbara used to follow that paradigm too. I don't recall her getting her hands dirty in some of our huge LDS policy/doctrine arguments. For some reason (maybe because she considered BYU?) that's changed recently, particularly when it comes to the role of women in the church. Apparently spending some time on a sports message board and a pamphlet from the BYU law school suddenly have emboldened her to think she knows what she's talking about. It doesn't help that self-loathers like Waters fan the fire.

It's demeaning. It's really unfortunate. It doesn't help inter-faith discourse.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote