View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #74
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this was changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.
Is it purely theological? Can one authority exist without the other? Does serving in a significant position of authority change one's perspective on the subject ... most definately, especially when one whitnesses first hand the effect it has on one's spouse.

To those in positions of significant authority it is not trivial or overcompensation when they remark at how blessed they are to have married a woman willing to make considerable sacrifices.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote