View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think it's sexist to say women are better suited to be full time mothers, and that is their place, which is what two posters have said here. Such statements are not only sexist but openly disproven in every corner and at every level of our country's and Europe's commercial environment. Women today excel at every level, perform toe to toe with men, and there is no evidence (other than anecdotal) that children of working women are worse off. There's more reliable evidence that the average two hours a day small children spend in front of the TV is damaging to them. I know plenty of full-time working moms with great kids. Some have to work, in fact.

It all depends on the whole circumstances. What I oppose here is generalizations. I am not saying what women shoud do, contrary to Norcalcat or DJ Ross.
To say a womens place is in the home is sexist, I will agree. To say women in general are better suited to be full time parents as opposed to men, I just don't see how one could argue that. We probably wouldn't have to even argue it if full time Mom's were given the accolades they deserve.

If this weren't the case, I would argue that more kids, primarily minorities, wouldn't be on TV thanking their moms and grandmoms.

There is no reason to think that a woman entering medical school and a male entering medical school that the male will end up the better Dr.

ON the other hand, I think there is ample evidence that you could make a guess in general which gender would make the better stay at home parent and which gender would do better at sitting at a bar getting drunk.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote