View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In seriousness, if you really care about the lives of these people, that is, you value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as you value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky, you stay in Iraq.

Of course, most Americans don't value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as they value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky.
I've linked a famous or infamous article by Noam Chomsky that crytstalized a lot of opposition to continuing the Vietnam War. It was published in 1965, seven years before our ignominious withdrawl. I disagree with much in this article, and much of what Chomsky says and writes. But the part of the article that resonates with me, that is wholly relevant to our Iraq adventure and prophetic, is the extensive discussion in the middle of the article (Irving Kristol is one of his punching bags) about the fraudulence, self-delusion, and sheer impracticality of the United States' assertions of the best intentions in the interest of the suffering civilians.

http://www.chomsky.info/articles/19670223.htm

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote