Thread: Sound of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #65
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I'm still fanning myself after reading your SoM recap, and I'm breathless in anticipation of "The Music Man" summary. Start with the railcar scene when all the men sing repeatedly, and ever more slowly, "and when the man dances, certainly boys, the piper pays him...", followed by "yesssssss, sir, yesssssss, sir" while steam (evocative of San Francisco's Sutro Bathouse) escapes from the trains brakes.

And Shirley Jones as the nice but naughty librarian raised theater temperatures several degrees. Which reminds me that the other day I overheard a woman rebuking her male counterpart, "Listen, stop bugging me about wanting to see The Librarian or you're going to need The Nurse."

And finally, the next time you watch Ben-Hur, watch carefully the scene in the Roman Armory when Ben Hur (Charlton Heston) sees his old friend Messala (Stephen Boyd) for the first time since their youth. Boyd wrote many years later that he played the scene as if he were gay and had the hots for Charlton Heston. His gestures and the looks he gives Heston are priceless once you have that insight. Heston didn't know about it and played the scene totally, well, straight.
Somebody was rebuking you about wanting to see Barbara Gordon?