View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #34
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

I support the proclomation, and I am sure that people will be held accountable for their decisions. None of that is at issue here. Here, the question is to what extent the church should seek to COMPEL compliance with LDS beliefs.
How does the church “compel” anyone to do anything. Every organization has its agenda that it tries to push, do you really think that the Church should be any different? Gay organization will be trying to push their moral beliefs on everybody else, and you say that just because we have been on the losing end of legislation we should stop trying to further our causes.
I have said no such thing. I have never stated that the LDS church should not take a stand on homosexuality, or even homosexual marriage. I have said that they should not lead efforts to establish legislation which codifies the church's position on homosexual marriage.

The church "compels" acceptance of its position when it does everything within its power to make its belief a matter of law.

Not only have we been on the losing side of legislation, we have been on the wrong side of many moral issues. That is to be expected, as the church is run by imperfect, though inspired beings. Given our past experiences, I would think more caution would be in order here.

I do find it ironic that most LDS people are much more opposed to polygamy today than non-LDS people. In this very thread, some have said that we cannot accept homosexual marriage because it could then open the door to polygamy. I tend to think polygamy is much more harmful to a society than homosexual marriage is, but the LDS position on the topic today is light years away from where it began.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote