View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #41
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I seem to recall this line of discussion before ... but anyway,
I am clean-shaven
I wear cotton t-shirt or maybe a polo/golf shirt, with regular shorts, while riding my bent.
You didn't ask, but I am not overweight, OK maybe 10 lbs over ideal weight.
I have more fun riding the bent than the diamond frame for exercise and just to relax ... for that reason it probably gets used 4x as much as the Trek.
The Trek is better for getting from point A to point B if I want to carry something in a backpack, like for commuting, but I'm not regularly commuting now.
The design of my bent, the CLWB, is not very good for hill climbing. So I wouldn't ride it on a very hilly route or up a mtn canyon -- at least I'd need to build my climbing muscles more. The long wheelbase models are a bit better for climbing.
I don't do any competitive or group rides.
I have never seen a bent that climbs well. ON steep hills our tandem usually only manages to pass 'bents.

Sorry about the stereotyping, and I have made the crack before, but the proportion of bent riders that are bearded and/or wear wool jerseys is remarkably high. OTOH, they are usually pretty good natured guys (is this another stereotype you don't meet?) but I mostly run into bents on group rides and I am therefore usually on a tandem and everybody is freindly to tandmes so who knows.