View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes, thank you UD. As I stated before, I am trying to get to some level of understanding on this matter that allows my conscience to feel peace. Currently, I do not have that peace on this issue.

Not sure what Tex's tone was, nor does it matter. I stated clearly that I would welcome all feedback, including derision...or in Tex's case, skepticism of my intent.

A few weeks ago, Steel mentioned how this issue is going to affect the lives of California LDS in a slightly different way.....because this is hapening in our own backyard and many of us have close friends or relatives that are gay. After this past weekend, I am feeling the weight of Steel's predictions.

Honestly guys, I am not ready to support this measure. I guess part of me is struggling with whether that makes me a bad Church member? I love the Church (as I know many/most here do....and some do not and that is quite fine, as well). I really have no complaints thus far with my membership. But for the first time in my adult life, I feel a bit of the "wrestle with the Lord" that Enos experienced. And the more I think about it, the muddier the waters become. In the words of Mick, "I can't get no satisfaction."

I can say this much....I am resolved to follow the words of the Prophet on this issue....GBH was correct when he admonished us to Stand for Something.

I feel like I do need to Stand for Something on this issue.

Hopefully I dont burn in hell for standing up, though....
I'm not skeptical of your intent, DDD ... I think your intent is clear. I'm questioning your logic, your pick-and-choose interpretations of the Proclamation to fit what you would like it to say.

I respect a person's desire to be inclusive, or the need to reconcile church policy with personal feelings. But I don't respect the process of trying to twist fairly clear phrasing to make it mean something (IMO) it clearly was not intended to. If we're going to haggle about church policy, let's do so honestly. If you disagree with the concepts of the Proclamation, just say so outright instead of trying to impute your meaning to it.

As for the California initiative, I don't live there and don't really have strong feelings about whether or not members should jump on board.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote