View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If BYU or Utah women had been in the national championship game (i.e., a team of mostly or all white women), and Imus had called them whores or bitches (i.e., not hose), would there have been an outry? The reason I ask is that I hear men on talk radio saying much worse things about women in general than Imus said about these women--for example, Howard Stern or Tom Lykus--and there's never any outcry. I think this is about race not gender. I say this not in any way to mitigate what's happening to Imus. On the contrary, I'd like more condemnation of some of the stuff I hear said about women by misogynists like Stern and Lykus.
Imus couldn't have called a national championship team from BYU nappy-headed. I think this whole thing is racially driven. I also think this thing is overblown. I was at the gym this morning on the treadmill watching the ESPNews broadcast of the press conference and I thought it funny that the first basketball player speaker was the most attractive caucasian girl on the team then followed by the team captain.

I also thought it funny that the players and coach lamented how this whole incident has diminished their national championship and took the spotlight away from what they accomplished. In reality, this team would have been forgotten like most other women's basketball champions. Now this championship will be remembered. At least for a few years. Hell I didn't even know Rutgers won the title until this all blew up. I thought Tennessee won. How's that for a mysogynistic comment?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote