View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Yeah, I know, but the truth is that our hard earned $ are worth 30% less than they were seven years ago. Scary, huh? That's what spending without taxing does for us, and that's the strategy McCain will continue to employ.
Okay, what nonsense is this? Inflation year-to-year has on average stayed in the same range for about 15 years, which includes both Republican AND Democrat presidents. You have to go back to 1991 to find where it (annually) last crossed 4%.

Of all the arguments for or against McCain, inflation is one of the silliest. It has largely been neutralized as a political issue since the Reagan era.

http://www.miseryindex.us/irbyyear.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I think our politicians, are, for the most part, reflections of the rest of us. And stats show that half of us will face infidelity either as the adulterer or as the spouse. I don't see why we should expect to see any higher code of conduct from the leaders than we do from the population at large.
Because these are supposed to be the best and the brightest.

It goes back to Huckabee's inane comment about "I remind you more of the guy you work with than the guy who laid you off." I've been laid off before. I don't want most of the "guys I work with" elected President. And I sure as hell would rather have someone running a business who actually understands economics running the country, even if it means laying people off.

The President should be someone who represents the best America has to offer, not its lowest common denominator.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote