View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Why won't you just admit that some people, apparently a lot of people, could be offended by the tone, style, delivery, and message of the talk without having a personal failing?

What does giving her the benefit of the doubt have to do with it? Are you implicitly admitting that she did something wrong and needed us to "cover" for her by giving her the benefit of the doubt?
The point is, the talk was meant to inspire and uplift. If it (arguably) failed in some remote aspect of that, why not let it slide? Why not assume the best instead of assume the worst? Do you think all this supposed blowback (which in my opinion is much smaller than advertised) is helpful?

No, instead we get a report of some support from the Twelve, and the next thing you know, people are taking shots at them.

You want to know what I honestly think? I believe this is a proxy. This is an excuse for people who are habitually critical of the leadership anyway to pile on. I don't think there are a lot of mothers in mud huts complaining about how Beck denigrated them. Most of the caterwauling is from highly educated members living in the greater Salt Lake area. I'm gonna guess that if you took a survey, you'd find they're the same people who hate the excommunication of the September Six, who protested the "censoring" of the BYU Rodin exhibit, and have two dozen other sore points between them and church leadership.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote