View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #49
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
"I [Joseph Smith] have translated a portion of them, and find they contain the history of the person with whom they were found. He was a descendant of Ham, through the loins of Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and that he received his kingdom from the Ruler of heaven and earth" (DHC 5:372).

--From the Journal of William Clayton

People have disputed the validity of this statement, but only because Clayton wrote it and not Smith. But he was citing smith when he wrote it and we have no reason to think it was made up. I don't think any of this translation was ever published by the church though.
And you realize that the first person was added much later.

From whence Clayton got his information/interpretation/recollection of what happened, we do not know. True, there was some buzz about the K plates at the time, but nothing came of them. No translation, no new scripture, nothing. No evidence that JS even spent much time on them. They were eventually returned to those that "found" them.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote