View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Danger Mike Waters! Danger!

Too many variables and possible problems with a very important piece of equipment. What if it has been raining for a while and dry wood is hard to find? How long does it take to get the wood lit and going? What if your battery is dead?

My advice... Go with a canister stove. They're very small, very light and they have very few parts to worry about. Some people complain that they don't work well in very low temperatures but I've never had a problem.

My stove is a SnowPeak but they're all pretty good. I like the Primus stoves because you can get a little plastic base for the fuel cans that makes the stove a little more stable. MSR makes a good stove too (pocket rocket, etc...).

Some come with a built in igniter (which is nice) but you can always just carry a lighter or matches. Mine has an igniter and I carry back up matches.

If you're not a fan of canister stoves then go with one of the liquid fuel systems. Don't get one that has the canister and the stove in the same unit. They are notorious for being buggy.

The best reason to go with a canister stove is the fact that they are VERY fast and you can get a consistent burn out of them. If you're trying to boil water you can get it done in very little time (a Titanium kettle helps) but if you're simmering something it is MUCH easier to maintain an even flame with a canister.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote