View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I have mentioned my father here and his athletic prowess before. He's 51 now and I couldn't ever really notice a sharp decline until this past year. Though he has had a serious injury, a completely torn tricep above the elbow that required extensive surgery and a lengthy rehab, which slowed him considerably.

He's in ridiculous shape though. He works out about 2 hours every day lifting, running, and playing basketball. In high school he was all state in Hawaii as a TE/DE in football and OH in volleyball. Could have played anywhere in the Pac-10 but gave up football to play volleyball and stay close to home. So he accepted a scholarship to play for BYU-HI. After using all his eligibility, he decided to become a body builder. He was accepted to the FBI right before the Mr. Hawaii competition and was never able to compete in it. He's competed in the Police Olympics with the FBI for several years and only stopped recently.

The biggest thing for him is warming up and recovery now. It takes him much longer to do both. And I think he's admitted that it really began in his mid 30's that he noted a decline especially in these areas. His agility and quickness is far from what it used to be. But he's strong as ever. Most people never think he's much older than 40. I hope to look half as good at his age. I think he substitutes what he lacks athletically for toughness. I have pulled out some nasty dislocated fingers he's had. He just keeps trucking. He plays through injuries all the time. In fact, I played 18 holes of golf with him and his torn tricep that was rolled up under his shoulder 2 weeks before his surgery. He could hardly swing a golf club, but he did it anyway.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote