View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I am not a big time backpacker. I have done the occasional overnighter, but usually only for one or two nights. I have a pretty new pair of gore-tex lined medium wieght Vasque hiking boots that I have used the last year or two. These are not heavy duty hiking boots; they sort of look like Steroid enhanced hihg tops, but are comfortable and the gore-tex works just the way they say it should (proven in streams and snow).

This year, our stake girls camp is in the Sierra and the group my daughter is going with is taking a 4 day 3 night hike which will involved about 16-20 miles total hiking and will be about 50% rugged trail and about 50% cross-country (or so I am told). ANy advice as to whether or not I should upgrade to a more rugged boot? Other than wasting money and a sense that the boots I have may not be strudy enough for cross-country stuff, I have no real reason to do so.

Btw, I bought them at REI, in case anyone wants to make fun of me for doing so.
I recently went hiking in the Olympics up in Washington and used a pair of Danner Acadia's. I also use these with my Army ACU's as my uniform boots. I know a number of guys who used these in Afghanistan on deployments and they handled the rugged terrain there without a problem.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote