View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
No you knock people down and they get tentative and don't go in the lane anymore.

Last year Michigan St was 6th in the nation in FG% defense allowing opponents to shoot 38.4%. North Carolina wasn't in the top 50

North Carolina presses and tries to force turnovers. The slap at your hands a lot going for steals, but they don't get in your face in the post. They certainly don't force you into taking tough shots.
Funk you have a lot to learn about winning basketball. Half court defense is only one part of the game. UNC's pressure D creates TO's and point for its offense.

My high school coach was a Heathcote protege, just as Izzo is, so I know that style of basketball. But it's not the only style.

I looked up Mich State and UNC's stats for last year. If you look at FG's, 3 pt FG's, FT's, and TO's, I created a total possession stat and a total points per possession stat.

UNC = .80
Mich St = .795

So over a game, this is about a half point difference in defensive points allowed per possession (would have been nice to figure in off reb allowed but that stat wasn't available and both teams had wide reb margins so probably a wash).

Mich State beats UNC in FG% but UNC kills Mich State in TO's forced. If I was even on points allowed per possession I would much rather force more TO's than have a lower FG% allowed if that was the choice, since TO's forced = fast break buckets on the offensive side.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote