View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I took out an ARM last year. The rate is locked for 5 years. We'll be moving in 3.
I guess the risk in this situation is that if the economy in general hits a serious general speed bump, and this drives home prices down and interest rates up, you don't have the option of 'riding out the storm' along with people that have a long term fixed rate. And to complicate things a bit more, if the market looks like it is even heading that way, we could get a glut of houses on the market all at once, from people in your situation, and that could also drive prices down.

I certainly don't look forward to economic disaster for this country, but as the kind of fool who didn't crunch the numbers in the first place, who was an ignorant first-time home buyer, we have a 30-year fixed in a home that we are definitely going to sell LONG before 30 years are up (it was only a $75k loan, so the cost of our error isn't too deadly), we will be in a good position to pick up a 2nd home for cheap if the market ever goes belly up.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote