View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #36
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And your article was so overwhelming. If you aren't aware of this anecdotal evidence, then why discuss it.

Address the point. How would you construct a study for social awkwardness? All I have is my experience and my experience with most homeschoolers regardless of academic abilities is that they usually are behind athletically and I found them to be more of a misfit than I, and that's saying a lot.

Address the other point, why not use your resources to supplement the education instead of supplanting it?
My point is that the article I put forth was far better than anything you offered up. At least someone who appears to be somewhat of an expert in the area put forth considerable effort, data, and analysis and came to the conclusion that at least in one key aspect of socialization, there is evidence that home schooled kids come out ahead of non-home schooled kids.

In regards to using your resources to supplement the education, two points:

One, some people do. And for those considering home schooling, they ought to consider this as an option. My wife and I have.

Two, given the time demands of school itself, homework, music lessons, extracurricular activities, and so forth, this approach may lead to a more stressful and harried lifestyle than the parents want for their children. Home schooling allows them to improve education while lessening the time demands on their children.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote