View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Interesting. I'll bet my kids would enjoy making these.

So, you add the flour directly to the boiled ingredients? I assume that makes a pretty sticky/tough dough ball.
Yep, add it directly to the boiling ingredients, it forms a pliable ball, after it started to ball I removed it from the heat, put it in my mixing bowl, mixed some of the smaller chunks and let it rest.

For frying the dough I cut a small hole in the corner of a glad lock bag and pushed the dough through the little slit into the oil in a criss cut pattern. My first cake I made fell apart and was little squigglies, as my wife called them, of doughy goodness. I made smaller cakes on the subsequent tries and used a large metal, holed, colander thing to flip the cakes, ensuring they were gold brown on either side. You really could just squeeze little strips of dough into the oil, fish them out, cover them with powdered sugar, and enjoy.

I told my mom this morning that I had made funnel cake and she said essentially the same thing you did, it would be lots of fun for the grandkids to make these. The recipe is real simple, it took all of 5 minutes to prepare, and was really good.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote