Thread: Bass Guitars
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Any guitarists or bassists here? I am, for no good reason (maybe because I am now 40?), thinking of purchasing a bass guitar, about which I know almost nothing. I have not yet informed my wife of my plans. I have minimal guitar experience (minimal because I sucked), but many years of cello experience, so I thought that may translate to the bass somewhat.

But, as I said, I know nothing. What do I need to know? Should I go with frets or fretless (I was thinking fretless because of cello background, but I really have no idea). Any decent cheap brands around? Are there different styles? Anything in particular I need to look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
A few of us CGers play. I have a V-factor six string (not the vintage flying V, but similar) and a beat up acoustic. Back when I was in bands, the bass players always played Fenders (maybe they were trendy). The one guy was in love with his candy apple 5 string Fender.

With your cello experience you're probably fine with a fretless, but they're not recommended for beginners.

How the neck feels is important (it's width, how it fits in your hands, the string spacing), as is how high the string action is (I like very low action, but it limits some of the things I can do. Better players than me often go with higher action as it has a fuller ring on clean channels and so on). If the pickups aren't good it can make an otherwise great guitar sound terrible. You'll want to research pickups.

When you've found a bass you like spend time plugging it into different amps. I have a Fender Blues Jr. which works well for the style of songs I like to play, but it's not the best choice for crunch. Peavey amps sound too bright to me (except for the high end ones), and I've always stayed away from them. Some people love them. The bass players in my bands played through a big old Crate amp and a Fender amp, respectively. Both guys ran through the mixing board and then out to the PAs and monitors.

I know exactly zero about bass strings. Strings can make a big difference in your sound, particularly in your "bite." I use GHS boomer super lights.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-15-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote