View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I remodeled our master bath a couple of years ago. Put in tile floor, tile tub surround, etc. Cali's description is pretty accurate (hard, hard, hard) but it is also satisfying to see it finished. It does take a long time to do it yourself. I had some decorative border pieces from Italy that cost a mint and those things were constantly chipping and cracking.
The problem with most floors is that they aren't level. Even if you tear down to the subfloor, your subfloor also probably isn't level. So, if you want it to be a really nice tile job, you have to contantly be leveling and adjusting the amount of mortar base you are using for each tile. It sucks. And then it sucks some more. Or you can do a crap job that isn't particularly level and let the next guy cuss you out when he tries to put down a parquet floor over the top of the tile.

Sadly, very sadly, I am about to tear out our shower and put in a tile base and walls (with glass block on the front side that arches up to the ceiling over the shower door). It will look nice when done, but I am not certain my salvation is worth the price, since I am pretty sure I will kill at least one person during the course of my labors.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote