Thread: My intro
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's very good, Arch.

Foreigners (gaijins) are quite rare in Japan. When kids see missionaries they like to yell out something in English just to try it out. And they usually yell out the first thing they learn in their english class. Which is typically:

"This is a pencil."

or

"This is a pen."

or

"This is a red pen."

So everywhere you go, you hear kids shouting "This is a red pen! This is a red pen!". It's strange, but quite funny at the same time.

Another common thing you hear is "Buta kao!" which is literally "Pig face!" (referring to our big noses and round eyes).

In the Philippines they yell "Hey Joe, give me chocolate" which I'm pretty sure is a holdover from the WWII GIs. The full "Hey Joe, give me chocolate" is often shortened to just "Hey Joe" which you hear about 100 times a day. I never minded "Hey Joe" but I liked having a little fun with it so I would often respond "Hey Pedro". You could also tell who the smarter kids were because the ones that got the joke would laugh and the ones that didn't would sit there with a dumb look on their face thinking "My name isn't Pedro" or, better yet, "How did he know my name is Pedro?"
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote