View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My children have weaker immune systems as a result of their preemie-ness. As such, when your 2 year old gets a cold, mine develop RSV and go to the hospital for 9 days. They get intubated in extreme cases, but on average, they have to have a nose canula for several days and lay there will crap gets suctioned out of their nose and throat.

So yes, I do care if some kid shows up to nursery with a snotty nose and gets my kids sick. I also get annoyed when the dipstick parent tells me that the kid is not contagious because the snot is clear.

Once they are bit older and can fight it all off on their own, they know to avoid kids that are coughing and sneezing, they know to wash their hands frequently, etc...then it isnt as much of a concern. But for now, yes....if your kid has a snot nose, keep him home. He isnt missing much and you can teach him whatever song they are singing that day in Primary.

As for the cold sore thing, I have a hard time believing that if one of your relatives had an active outbreak/lesions on their mouth and kissed your child, thereby resulting in incurable herpes for the rest of your child's life, that you would take a chill pill and write it off to a momentary lapse of reason. Not saying you would file a lawsuit, but every parent would get annoyed. The husband in this case was also annoyed at his mom. The rift was not because he felt the mom was innocent....he also thought her behavior was stupid. He was annoyed at his wife because his wife wanted to punish the mom and withhold visitation privileges for awhile (an admittedly stupid resonse).

Perhaps you dont care if your kids get herpes, though. I cant be sure.
We're in agreement on the wrongheaded reaction by your friend's wife, who wanted to punish her MIL. I said I'd be frustrated with my mom for doing it, but life's too short to heap more guilt on her when she surely already feels a healthy dose.

We keep our kids home when they're sick; it isn't our favorite thing when parents bring kids who may show outward signs of illness to Church (even though the parents reassure everyone their kid is past the contagious stage or is fine).

But I don't think they're dipsticks or deserve the pitch of outrage you show.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote