View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Sounds like both you and your friend's wife need to take a chill pill. So a grandmother has a lapse of judgment and kisses her grandson, obviously acting from a loving impulse before thinking. The frustration is understandable, but to choose to have this be the cause of a family rift? Ridiculous.

I agree that parents shouldn't bring their sick kids to church, but generally parents are all a little bit too uptight and judgmental about these things, as your post exemplifies. I can just hear you in "alternative Sunday School" saying, "I find it just terribly inconsiderate of the parents." Oh wait, that's what you did write. Do you have a high-pitched whiny voice?
My children have weaker immune systems as a result of their preemie-ness. As such, when your 2 year old gets a cold, mine develop RSV and go to the hospital for 9 days. They get intubated in extreme cases, but on average, they have to have a nose canula for several days and lay there will crap gets suctioned out of their nose and throat.

So yes, I do care if some kid shows up to nursery with a snotty nose and gets my kids sick. I also get annoyed when the dipstick parent tells me that the kid is not contagious because the snot is clear.

Once they are bit older and can fight it all off on their own, they know to avoid kids that are coughing and sneezing, they know to wash their hands frequently, etc...then it isnt as much of a concern. But for now, yes....if your kid has a snot nose, keep him home. He isnt missing much and you can teach him whatever song they are singing that day in Primary.

As for the cold sore thing, I have a hard time believing that if one of your relatives had an active outbreak/lesions on their mouth and kissed your child, thereby resulting in incurable herpes for the rest of your child's life, that you would take a chill pill and write it off to a momentary lapse of reason. Not saying you would file a lawsuit, but every parent would get annoyed. The husband in this case was also annoyed at his mom. The rift was not because he felt the mom was innocent....he also thought her behavior was stupid. He was annoyed at his wife because his wife wanted to punish the mom and withhold visitation privileges for awhile (an admittedly stupid resonse).

Perhaps you dont care if your kids get herpes, though. I cant be sure.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote