View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
there is a family in our ward with a Primary aged boy.....the boy contracted herpes (cold sores) from his grandmother. The knucklehead grandmother kissed the boy when she had an outbreak on her face (GROSS) and the boy wound up contracting it.

Needless to say, the parents were furious and it caused a bit of a rift between the husband (his mom kissed the boy) and the wife (who was pissed at the MIL).

The parents didnt want people in the ward to ostracize their boy, so they decided to tell few people. My wife is good friends with the boy's mom, so the mom told my wife.

Our kids all play together regularly...every week. However, I notice that when he has an outbreak, they still bring him to Church and send him off to nursery.

It pisses me off because they have zero control over what a 3.5 year old will do....touch his mouth, touch other kids, put toys in his mouth and then lay them down, etc...

One of my pet peeves is knuckelhead parents that bring their sick kids to Church (he isnt contagious...his snot is clear!), but this seems to raise the bar to a new level.

It isn't the boy's fault that he has this issue. But keep him home when he is having an outbreak....until he is old enough to understand what he has and that he needs to act accordingly. I find it terribly inconsiderate of the parents.
Sounds like both you and your friend's wife need to take a chill pill. So a grandmother has a lapse of judgment and kisses her grandson, obviously acting from a loving impulse before thinking. The frustration is understandable, but to choose to have this be the cause of a family rift? Ridiculous.

I agree that parents shouldn't bring their sick kids to church, but generally parents are all a little bit too uptight and judgmental about these things, as your post exemplifies. I can just hear you in "alternative Sunday School" saying, "I find it just terribly inconsiderate of the parents." Oh wait, that's what you did write. Do you have a high-pitched whiny voice?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote