View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #62
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Indy and HFNW, what you guys are doing seems to suggest that the schedule has an effect on how good we are. Indy, you seem committed to fight this fallacy, I dont know why you use it the opposite way.

If we're a top 25 team, we will be be 9-3 against a good SOS or 11-1 against a crappy SOS.

I don't think the fans are that stupid that they get giddy over a 10-2 season like this year as compared to if this had been a 9-3 or 8-4 season against much tougher opponents.

Fans didn't stop showing in 2002-2004 because it was a tough schedule. they stopped showing because BYU sucked. We were losing at home to UNLV and New Mexico. We were getting pasted by mediocred Boise and CSU teams. You're talking about a difference of going 4-8 with a tough schedule vs 6-6 with an easy schedule. I'm pretty sure BYU fans would have been equally pissed off.

So the question is not 4-8 tough SOS vs 11-1 crappy SOS. It's a one or two game difference. And you'd have a VERY tough time arguing that a consistent schedule of MWC + UCLA and Colorado at 10-2 every year would sell less tix than 12-0 against Hawaii's schedule. Or other extreme 4-8 with USC and Notre Dame or 6-6 with Utah State and Nevada.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote