View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
State the logical basis for your declaration.

In effect, you quibble with the choice Church leadership may exercise by advocating against gay marriage.

You make references to "discrimination", how the Church leaders may have felt more than a century ago when polygamy was outlawed because it was viewed, by some as "immoral." I question that premise in the first instance, or whether it was more a power play, probably a mixture of both.

You appear to believe there really is nothing wrong with gay marriage and state, wrongfully, that the Church is in the minority on this issue. Almost all states have passed measures outlawing gay marriage. That sounds like an endorsement of the Church's position, not evidence of being in the minority.

Just engage in a risk benefit analysis. What does the Church risk by endorsing legislation outlawing gay marriage? The ire of persons not associated with the Church. Were these persons ever going to donate? Not likely. What does it gain? It consolidates its declaration that families are ordained of God, it stands against what it considers sin and perhaps slows the acceptance of an abhorrent activity. It may become common practice? But what would be the benefits?

So it appears the Church's position is perfectly logical, and your opposition is irrational and unexplained.
What the church "risks" is exactly what I stated in my first post. The church risks legitimizing efforts to legislate the morality of particular groups which very well could be of detriment to the church and its positions worldwide.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote