View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #34
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
So from your personal observations, Mexicans tend not to have an impetus to succeed? As I have noted, they do have high relatively high levels of entrepreneurship. You'd also be hard-pressed to find a Mexican bum on the street. I have noticed that they do not have a materialistic impulse, and hence don't pursue anything beyond what's necessary to support their families. But everywhere I look they're working.

Furthermore, illegal immigration is a huge investment, so it weeds out people with no initiative.

It's not that they have no impetus to succeed, but according to some bilingual teachers here in Dallas, many of the immigrant parents here are poor and uneducated. They can't read or write in their own language, and have never been to school. They don't know how to help their children with the rudiments of education. Consequently, it takes more work to get their children to be educated in English.

This creates divisiveness among the ranks here in Dallas. Some people see the emphasis on bilingual education as unfair to them and their children. Some Dallas schools have talked about only hiring bilingual principals, and bilingual teachers from Kindergarten all the way through high school. I've heard that high school English teachers aren't allowed to fail Spanish-speaking students. The possibility that a long-standing teacher in a Dallas high school could be fired because they don't speak Spanish upsets people. It's a hot button issue here for sure.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote