View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
So whats the philosophy behind your using this program? I assume its not only to finish a half, but to finish fast, considering you do several runs longer that 13 miles during your training.

As someone who has never run a marathon before, my goal is to finish and feel fairly well at the end. I've also got a goal for time, but I understand that could be a little ambitious for a first timer.

I have never personally understood programs like Galloways where he has you running up to 32 miles to get ready for a marathon. It seems like a waste of time to me. Thats why I like the Furman full marathon training program. The longest run is 20 miles getting ready for it.
My philosophy is that this was a program that lets me run only three times a week while promising to improve my speed. If I had come across your version first, I probably would have done it instead, but I was already into mine. I do think 18 weeks is a little excessive for a half-marathon, but I had that much time until the one I was running so it didn't matter much.

I don't think it's overly ambitious to have a time goal for a first half-marathon. A half is a lot less than half of a marathon's impact on your body, so I don't think you have to proceed quite as carefully. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, no, I don't get Galloway's philosophy either. My wife followed that program last year for St George, running the Logan marathon as her last "long run" before St George. I think that long of a run hurt her in the end, despite the fact that she tried to run Logan really slowly. In a half-marathon, I think it does make sense to go longer than 13 in your training because you're not beating down your body nearly as hard.

Last edited by ERCougar; 08-21-2008 at 03:22 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote