View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I think that I am going to go with this marathon training program in trying to get through my first marathon in November.

http://www.marathon-training-program...am-finish.html

A couple of things that I like about it:

- 3 days a week. Not only do I enjoy cycling enough to not want to give it up, I also feel like I need at least 1 day in between runs to recover. I've tried back to back runs and I usually don't feel well at all on those days.

- Variety - I like the concept of having one speed day, one tempo day and one long, slow day per week. The speed day is different each week, which will go a long way for me to avoid getting bored.

I am now at about 15 weeks to go. This mornings speed workout was painful but good. 8-400 meter intervals at about 6:45 pace with 90 secs recovery.

Any thoughts on this program? My wife is going with the Hal Higdon program. Its a proven method, but it does three consecutive days during the week with long saturday runs. No speed work.
I'm trying this for my half-marathon, which for some reason is two weeks longer than the marathon training program.

I like the program too so far. I'm running faster than my typical runs and I'm not so sick of running. It also allows me to get in my mtn biking. It seems a perfect fit for triathletes--I think the guy who designed it was a runner-turned-triathlete.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote