View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
She addressed motherhood as if it is the optimum state of LDS womanhood. Sorry to disappoint you, but there are plenty of us not in a position to be mothers. Many LDS women, for whatever reason, will never be mothers. According to Beck, we are non-entities.

Where in this GC are any words addressing those of us not in the mainstream? Am I only of eternal worth if I toddle down to the local sperm bank?

It is easy for those of you in family situations to sit back and condescendingly pontificate that all is well...
I don't blame you for feeling that way, but I think it's sad and it's wrong.

It's not so much a male vs female thing. I feel like my most important work of my life is as a father and as a husband.

I understand not all will have ideal lives and that makes life confusing and enters in sorrow and trials for many. But unempathetic as it might sound, I believe no one escapes those sorrow and trials in this life, and the fact that it creates sorrow and trials for some to talk of the ideal life for God's children is not a reason to avoid talking about it.

I try to be sympathetic to those that feel judged, but the quote attributed to Nelson Mandela comees to my mind in this case.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

It doesn't do anyone any good to avoid talking about how to live the best we can and to strive for that because we're worried it might hurt someone else's feelings. That doesn't take away how hurtful it might be for you, though, and I trust God to bless you as you endure those trials.

Adam talks about how the church needs to ask for more sacrifice from its members. MW talks about how we need to differentiate ourselves from other Christian churches. This subject, to me, is the primary way we can do it. Men, give up the worldly way of chasing women, seeking fame and fortune, and dedicate yourselves to your wife and children. Women, same thing. It's a difficult thing, but it's a beautiful message and ideal life to try to attain.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote