View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Our alumni magazine recently republished a statement delivered in 1975 by then-president of the Latter-day Saints (whom we had sustained as Prophet) Spencer W. Kimball. Sometimes, he had said, "we must be willing to break with the educational establishment (not foolishly or cavalierly, but thoughtfully and for good reason) in order to find gospel ways to help mankind. Gospel methodology, concepts, and insights can help us to do what the world cannot do in its own frame of reference." The university must help the world when it "has lost its way on matters of principle." Mormons "can, as Brigham Young hoped we would, 'be a people of profound learning pertaining to the things of this world' but without being tainted by what he regarded as the 'pernicious, atheistic influences' that flood in unless we are watchful. Our scholars, therefore, must be sentries as well as teachers!"

At a recent faculty meeting, I asked my colleagues whether we did not need to pay attention to his concerns. I did not expect most of the faculty and administrators to attach the same urgent importance I do to his warning, but I was still somewhat startled by their casual dismissal of Kimball's concerns. In their responses, his lack of credentialed expertise in specialized matters of higher education was noted, and it was argued that he was then addressing the social upheaval of his time and it no longer was of concern to us. The call to be distinct from the academic mainstream did not apply to us.

And in case the practical conclusion was not clear to all faculty, particularly to untenured professors concerned to keep their jobs, what was expected of us was spelled out plainly: Your job, we were told, is to be good scholars and teachers as these functions are defined by the broader (secular) educational establishment by which we measure ourselves. Should you choose to break with this establishment by seeking to fulfill some distinctive Latter-day Saint mission—well, there you are on your own, and you must assume for yourself the professional risks involved. It was pointless for me to press the question of BYU's mission any further.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote