View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Went to a stake priesthood leadership meeting last night (which I found excruciatingly tedious compared to previous such meetings).

Anyway, they said rumors that scouting will soon be cut out of the church are not true. "For now" scouting is the activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthood. And then the entire focus was on Duty to God.

Let's assume that the church decides to cut out scouting, and just does Duty to God. I wonder how that will play, and how that willl work.

Let's face it. No one cares about the Duty to God award. No one outside of the church has even heard of it. 99% of church members dont' understand anything about it.

Will leaders have success in drumming up excitement over the Duty to God award? What will happen if scouting summer camp is cut out? No more monthly campouts? Will you have sufficient experience among the boys to do an outdoor high adventure activity?

It will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder if church members will start sending their boys outside of the church for scouting. It's already happened in the dysfunctional wards (when it comes to scouting) in our stake.
Good Question.

I dunno. I send my boys to scouting because, (a) the boys in the age group of my boys in the Church go there; (b) my boys want to go; and (c) an Eagle Scout award is the singly youth accomplishment that will follow one throughout one's life. All three of these reasons are important to me.

If you start removing them, I don't know how I'd react. I don't know what the Duty to God award is, unless I look it up to give a talk.