View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Last week was my first, or rather it was a ten miler with a two mile trudge at the end. It was a seriously brutal, hellish nightmare. My legs just gave out, I was worried I wouldn't even make it home.

This week was much better because I got serious about my run-day nutrition. Where as last week I ate a couple of hours before and downed a quart of water during, this week I got smart about refueling my muscles.

I ate two bagels and two bananas an hour beforehand, half a Clif Bar 15 minutes before running and during the run I downed the rest of the bar a few bites here and there, and adding Gatorade to my hydration plan.

It went soooo much better. My lungs felt great and my legs probably had another 4 miles left in them. Not bad for a guy who started running a little over three months ago without having run at all in two years and having never run more than two miles.

However...

The St. George Marathon is six weeks away and I should've had a couple of 15 milers under my belt by now but I missed three weeks of training due to knee problems and a nasty summer cold. My schedule as it was left little margin for error so I'm slightly nervous about the whole thing.

The knees are feeling good now and the plan is to run a 15, 18, and a 21 miler the next three weeks for my long runs before I taper off. If the 21 miler doesn't kill me, I figure I should be able to complete the marathon. After last week's "run" I gave myself Lloyd Christmas style odds, now I'd say I'm over 50/50.

I gotta step up the nutritional aspects now. Heavy on the pastas and whole grains, completely eliminate soda and sugary snacks as well as my twice weekly Taco Bell stop.

Even if I don't make my goal this year, I'm guaranteed a spot next year and since I've found I actually enjoy running, my marathon goal will be reached.

Any advice you veteran runners can give me is appreciated.
Are you just running out of energy?

Eat carbs before you run and protein after running. It's mostly a mind thing. You can do 12 , you can do 26.