View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To me, what you're saying, is society would like to enlist certain members of society to sacrifice for the good of society. To do so, we need to label the work "noble" in order to encourage people to do something for a higher cause. It's a sociological phenomenum. Your use of the word or concept of nobility necessarily involves sacrifice for society, and hence noble.

That's not the only definition of nobility for me. All work makes a person a better person, as it requires discipline, sacrifice and regimen. The street cleaner may not look like a noble vocation, but our streets are better off if they are cleaned. A man who shows up for work routinely, keeps his truck clean and does a good job cleaning has performed his work honorably and nobly. And each cog to society is important and noble.

We typically look upon firefighters, police, and the military as noble professions because of the "heroic" aspect of their work. I do not detract from that, but find its emphasis demeaning to those quiet vocations that society still needs and upon which no light shines. Good, honest work is noble.
I agree- work is noble. Some work, however, is more noble because the sacrifice and/or benefit to society is greater.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote