View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
leading the debates, and sitting on the panels should have their names listed on the screen with their party affiliation, their voting history for the past 3 elections, as well as who they are supporting for President.

To me that is the most disingenuous aspect to these so called debates. If I, a Romney supporter were to lead the debate, would it be fair for me to lob softballs and Mitt all evening while taking kill shots at the rest of the candidates? What about salting the crowd by asking them which way they are leaning right now so I can assure that the crowd is as pro Romney as possible for effect? This kind of thing really is frustrating.

I honestly cannot stand watching these debates. Nobody wants to get down to brass tax and begin hashing out the details. Candidates really don't answer the questions that matter, and the ones they do answer, we already know what their response will be. I say hold the debate in a large venue such as a sports dome or arena. Let people in for free and don't sweat the political makeup of those showing up. Let the questions fly free and clear of any gate keeping nonsense. You could set up a tour of lets say 4 to 6 debates over the course of the Primaries, and make them mandatory for all candidates who are serious about becoming president. No backing out due to scheduling conflicts.

Let the candidates sit comfortably and when questioned stand and deliver. Let the debate run a good two to three hours. Let the questions the public want answered be put into a bingo tumbola and spun around so that whatever comes up is what is asked regardless of how hard the question might be. You don't think this would be entertaining. Please, the ratings would blow away the cardboard crap that passes for a debate today.
I endorse this idea, especially about the moderator having to come clean about his/her political leanings.

Politicians are - as Goatnapper would so eloquently say - string pullers. If a candidate wants my vote, he/she damn well better give me a reason to vote for him/her.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote