View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I don't care about McCarthy's personal life. I care about The Road's questions and the way we answer those questions right now. I care as much about whether you are saving anybody as I do about whether McCarthy is -- not much. What I care about is how we save people today in the modern world. Do we still ask the same questions as the boy? More importantly, do we give the same answers as the dad? How do you save someone today? Do you not save anyone b/c you feel like it would imperil the survival of your family?
My point is that it is dumb to drag McCarthy, the author, into the discussion.

But the general point that as much as the novel raises questions about ethics in the world it presents, it also raises the implied point about facing these same questions in our current world.

I personally have struggled with some of these scenarios, some of which I have discussed. Where literally I have felt like I could be risking my hide, at no personal gain, with disastrous results for my own family should I perish, for some possible theoretical gain for another person. I still struggle with it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote