View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This will sound hokey and hard to believe, but when I worked in the PD office I honestly felt like I was the last bastion of liberty in the criminal justice system. Most of my clients were low-lifes and reprobates and probably deserved punishment for something if not for the particular crime of which they were accused. No one looked out for them and no one wanted to help them and the cops were frequently sloppy or 'creative' in their reports and claims and yet no one cared and the DAs seemed to only worry about win/loss percentage. If the PD didn't protect the rights of these people, no one would and if this class of people was lost to the rights in our system, how long would it be before those abuses creep upward to the rest of us? You don't need evil DAs for this to happen, you only need zealousness, and the DAs frequently have more zeal than they have sense. So even though SU and Arch poke sly fun at the notion, I think we ALL owe a debt to PDs and the work they do (and the pay SUCKS).
Amen brother creek'. Telling it like it is.

My property professor clerked for Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart; was a summa at Yale. Could have written his ticket, and was a D.C. PD for twelve years (making peanuts) before going to teach at Georgetown. There are a lot of defense lawyers like that.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote