View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[QUOTE=tooblue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

If you have to ask, maybe you should pay closer attention during conference, or when your bishop reads that letter from the pulpit :-P … Let’s see, I can think of avoid debt; pay a generous fast offering and not merely pay a fast offering; get an education; go on a mission … oh and before you say those aren’t essential to salvation how are they different than say, obey the word of wisdom ... that's the point, they are not different when one considers who is saying these things –a man or prophet!

Again, you are dealing in absolutes here, letter of the law type stuff!

Oh, and I said absolutes were dangerous, not that by speaking them your tongue would shrivel up and become abscessed ;-)
The prophet has two missions: provide for the spiritual direction necessary to give us spiritual salvation, and provide guidance for temporal safety and assistance. Sometimes the two work together, sometimes they are distinct.

Avoid debt: please show me how this is essential to my spiritual salvation. It may make me a better tool in the hands of the Lord, but it is hardly required.

Get an education: Please show me how this is essential to spiritual salvation. Again, if you believe that it is, are you suggesting that 3rd world members without an education cannot be saved? I doubt it.

Pay a generous fast offering: Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow men?

Go on a mission: makes us a better tool, not required for salvation (or should Steve Young just quit trying right now?).

In response to tooblue: Repentance: it IS asked. Is there anything in your past which has not been resolved but should have been?

Word of Wisdom: the body is a temple. The Spirit can't operate in an unclean dwelling. We need the Spirit to survive spiritually. Thus, it is different.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote