View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 AM   #19
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

4.7% in 1970 is the lowest percentage of foreign born in the entire history of the United States. It's a huge outlier in the history of the the country. That's the standard we want to go for? Maybe partially as a result, the 1970s economy was really bad. I mean, ironicially Jimmy Carter won in 1976 exactly because the economy sucked. That was his campaign message, kind of like Clinton's in 92. Furthermore, the 12.9% of today is still lower than what that percentage was at any time in the US between 1860 and 1920. It's not alarmingly high by historical standards. And how much of this is due to the birth rate among the native born today being ridiculously low as opposed to it being that easy to enter legally? Yet, despite all these terrible foreigners running around, as Fox Noise! would have us believe, the US remains a really great place to live, IMO. The economy is pretty strong. Sure, it's not as great for those who don't have education, but some type of post HS training that can lead to good employment is not really that hard to come by for the motivated. There are grants for that. I should know. I grew up worse than dirt poor. I just don't see demographic trends by themselves as a good reason to crack down on legal immigration.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-23-2018 at 02:55 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote