View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #22
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So a celeb runner uses Nikes through its sponsorship? That's not proof the shoe company is doing anything for the average runner, which most of us are.

I imagine for the celebs, they don't get the off the shelf shoe either but get the special shoe nobody else can buy.
So what proof do you have that Asics, Saucony or Brooks are doing anything for the average runner that Nike isn't doing?

In fact, a woman who posts on a marathon message board I read was asked by Nike to go to Portland last fall. While there, her and about 20 other people were treated like rock stars by Nike, met with Alberto Salazar, were shown the new gear that Nike is working on, and asked to give their opinions on the best ways that Nike can improve their products. All of this was at Nike's expense. She runs a 4:45 marathon, so I think she more than qualifies as an "average" runner.

And as far as the elites using shoes that none of us can get, I'm sure their racing flats are custom, but I saw a pic of Dathan Ritzenheim in RW last year doing a training run. He was wearing Air Structure Triax 9's, the EXACT same shoe that my average ass had been wearing for a year. (And yes, I really am that big of a dork that I can tell you a shoe model just by looking at it.)
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote